Soft Installs at Cottage Cottage
After securing Cottage Cottage in May 2018, a range of temporary installs were made with previously accumulated soft materials – natural and man-made – in-situ in the two upstairs bedrooms, and outside utilising the exterior washing line poles, for the July 2018 open days prior to closing to start renovations.
Although prepared in a relatively short timeframe and in place briefly, the installs functioned as initial practice dialogues between materials and spaces, things and people.
Images (white related):
- 1930s net curtain affixed to existing tassel-trim wall light
- Install view of room with fruit cage netting and small bulldog clips to ceiling, duvet and fishing line to original sprung bed base, various (non-clothing related) materials on hangers in existing ‘wardrobe’ niche.
- Another view of room with fruit cage netting and small bulldog clips above sprung bed (lightbox in corner).
- Detail view of materials on hangers in wardrobe niche – packaging sheet-foam (blanket stitched), synthetic stretch mesh, felt, large-bubble bubble wrap.
Images (black related):
- Install view of room with another wardrobe niche, existing serpentine chest of drawers (added castors), shelf arrangement with garden bird netting and poly foam block, three legged table with small-bubble bubble wrap, velvet and photographic glass plate.
- Detail of shelf arrangement with alabaster 1930s carved head of girl, with sewing needles in eyes aimed at synthetic foam block, garden bird netting.
- Three-legged table view with small-bubble bubble wrap, velvet and photographic glass plate negative
- Detail of plate (Ambrotype) – my photograph of my hand on photographed on bubble-wrap made using the Wet Plate Collodion process, 2010).
- Install view of room with (in foreground) assembly of lamp shade wireframe and glass dropper, string net curtain, hanging over a convex mirror affixed to a three-legged table. Raised and lowered via blocks and sash cord leading out of the window to exterior ground floor pulley.
- Detail of second existing chest of drawers with 1920s mannequin hand in fishnet style tights and garden bird netting.
For more images and information see the Cottage Cottage page.